Welcome

Hi everyone. Well here we go. As you all know - this has been my dream holiday for a long time now. I hope you enjoy this trip as well. I hope to see the "real" Portugal and share this with you all.

I will try to update you regularly on where I am and what I have seen. I will also give you a brief history of places I see. I am also going to try to speak Portuguese as much as possible. Mas só falo um pouco de português.


I am on a mission to discover the essence of Portugal. Portugal's history - both glorious and sometimes not so glorious - has fascinated me for years. I hope you find this trip informative and fun.


Just a short note to acknowledge that this trip is a result of the passing of my mother, and she will be remembered throughout this adventure.

My first stop is Lisbon (Lisboa).

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Viseu - more


In the 16th century, Viseu was home of an important school of Renaissance art that gathered around the painter Vasco Fernandes, and the town's biggest attraction is a museum of his work and that of his friends and students.

According to legend, Viriato, chief of the Lusitani tribe, took refuge in a cave here before the Romans hunted him down in 139 BC. The cave is in the tour information and I hope the rain will stop enough to find it.

The town, conquered and reconquered in the stuggles between Christians and Moors was definitavely taken by Dom Fernando I in 1057.
I have seen everything here including - yes - you guessed it - the cathedral and museum. Not allowed to take pics in the museum, but it included many sculptures all depicting the life of Christ. Also many paintings by the guy mentioned above. This pic is in the city square across from the hotel I am in. Tomorrow, I am going to take the camcorder with me and get more.

No comments: