Welcome

Hi everyone. Well here we go. As you all know - this has been my dream holiday for a long time now. I hope you enjoy this trip as well. I hope to see the "real" Portugal and share this with you all.

I will try to update you regularly on where I am and what I have seen. I will also give you a brief history of places I see. I am also going to try to speak Portuguese as much as possible. Mas só falo um pouco de português.


I am on a mission to discover the essence of Portugal. Portugal's history - both glorious and sometimes not so glorious - has fascinated me for years. I hope you find this trip informative and fun.


Just a short note to acknowledge that this trip is a result of the passing of my mother, and she will be remembered throughout this adventure.

My first stop is Lisbon (Lisboa).

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Castelo Branco




Well here I am in Castelo Branco (White Castle). I have met a good friend and am at his place for dinner using his Internet. He is cooking a typical Portuguese dish. I bought the wine and desert. he is a barman at the Rockafe that I went to last night. Everyone is fascinated with the Aussie. They are continually asking questions.



Well i went to a Palace garden, climbed a mountain to see yet another castle, and ate too many pastries. The garden is dedicated to all kinds of things including seasons of the year, astrological signs, past rulers and kings (the two Spanish born Kings of Portugal are smaller statues), the known world at the time (Africa, Asia, and Europe).





Tomorrow I am off to Guarda. Will see you there. Time for dinner. Love to all. Tony

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tony,

Love reading your posts, keep them coming.

Cheers,
Enzo

Adnil said...

Hi Tone

I am enjoying checking in with where you are at. How was your home cooked meal?? I forgot to tell you, I had a dream about you last week...true I did, and in it you had a big puddin' face. I reckon it was all the talk of pastries. Knowing you though it won't settle anywhere. Love the photo, great composition and lighting. I really look forward to a photo night when you get back. Keep enjoying yourself.Linda

Judy @ Coffs Kids said...

I hope you enjoy Guarda. I have been to the highest town in Australia (Cabramurra)and surprisingly it is HIGHER that Guarda (1056m). Cabramurra is in the Snowy Mountains and has an altitude of 1488m. We had Jatz & Kraft cheese for lunch there - as there wasn't much else to eat in the town! I'm sure you will fair much better in Guarda. Take care, J.