Welcome

Hi everyone. Well here we go. As you all know - this has been my dream holiday for a long time now. I hope you enjoy this trip as well. I hope to see the "real" Portugal and share this with you all.

I will try to update you regularly on where I am and what I have seen. I will also give you a brief history of places I see. I am also going to try to speak Portuguese as much as possible. Mas só falo um pouco de português.


I am on a mission to discover the essence of Portugal. Portugal's history - both glorious and sometimes not so glorious - has fascinated me for years. I hope you find this trip informative and fun.


Just a short note to acknowledge that this trip is a result of the passing of my mother, and she will be remembered throughout this adventure.

My first stop is Lisbon (Lisboa).

Sunday, April 6, 2008

Belem


hi all. well i have had the biigest day.
i had the day at Belem and it was breathtaking. this pic is from the coach Museum. A collection of all the coaches that carried the royal families.

Firstly i went to the Belem tower where De Gama set sail. I cant wait to post you some pics. I took pics of the canons, the staicase and many other things.

Then i went to the memorial for the sailers - huge monument with carvings of the sailers setting out to find the spice route.

Also saw the museum of coaches that carried the royal familiy around for centuries. Even tiny ones for the children. Also included was cotumes, horse gear and many other fashion items of the time.

Also at Belem was the famous custard tart. I had two with coffee. You sprinkle your own cinnamon and sugar ontop and it was lovely.

I saved the best for last when i saw the monistary dated 14th ccentury - unbelievable. And inside the monistary is the church - i have never seen anything like it.

Time to go guys. Love Tony.

3 comments:

Cooko said...

Hey Tone

Sounds like everything is what you wanted and expected. You'll have to get someone else to take the photos for you (make sure they don't take off the the camera as well) so you can be in the shots too. Take care.

Anonymous said...

Hi Tony,

Great to read your posts and 'experience' the journey with you. I look forward to seeing your first pics.

Regards, Enzo

Judy @ Coffs Kids said...

It is hard to image the wonder of buildings that remain standing since the 14th Century - and we clebrate our 200 year history with gusto!! J