Welcome

Hi everyone. Well here we go. As you all know - this has been my dream holiday for a long time now. I hope you enjoy this trip as well. I hope to see the "real" Portugal and share this with you all.

I will try to update you regularly on where I am and what I have seen. I will also give you a brief history of places I see. I am also going to try to speak Portuguese as much as possible. Mas só falo um pouco de português.


I am on a mission to discover the essence of Portugal. Portugal's history - both glorious and sometimes not so glorious - has fascinated me for years. I hope you find this trip informative and fun.


Just a short note to acknowledge that this trip is a result of the passing of my mother, and she will be remembered throughout this adventure.

My first stop is Lisbon (Lisboa).

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Fado

Two nights ago I went to a Fado night. Fado is Portugals traditional music. It is a kind of sad music and is enjoying a resurgence in Portugal at the moment. It is said to have been born in the breast of a seaman longing for his wife and the same with the wife longing for here husband. These guys would be at sea for years. It is music with a yearning for a life that is not possible. It is an important facet of Portuguese life, as I believe the many Portuguese people are drowning in it. More on that later maybe.

Got some good pics here too and took almost 30 mins of video. Two fat ladies sang with two of the most talented guitar players. Amazing. I was afraid I would go to a fado that would be a letdown (there are so many - and many too commercial). I was pleasantly surprised. The show started with me eating too much and drinking way too much. (can someone book me into AAs please?). Then I sat back and enjoyed the show, beginning with traditional dancing, then constant singing and nice music. Another portuguese must-see crossed off the list. It is raining today and I am sepnding time packing, doing this blog and walking around with my umbrella. I will do some summarising tomorrow i think on Portugal and let you know some of my thoughts. Bye for now. Love tony

No comments: