My first stop is Portugal's capital Lisbon (Lisboa). I will be in Lisboa for approximately one week and then head south - returning for a week or so before returning to Australia. Lisbon emerged as a nation state in the early 12th century and is one of the world's longest standing cities. Lisbon has been a battlefield for Greeks, Romans, and the Moors.
In 1755, an earthquake destroyed nearly the whole city. It is recorded that almost the entire city (being Catholic) were in church. They ran down to the Tagus River to escape - running into the arms of death, as a Tsunami flooded the city and took them all (Carmel - don't even think it). 100,000 people died as a result of the earthquake. Today's geologists estimate that the earthquake reached 9 on the Richtor Scale. Think I will stay in the pub.
9 comments:
Sounds like there will be so many exciting aspects to explore - but I hope you visit the Churches as well as the Pubs. Here is a link to some wonderful images you might like to look at. http://rubens.anu.edu.au/htdocs/bycountry/subjectindex/church.portugal.html
Thanks Judy. I will surely be doing that as well.
Have a look at this map http://www.multimap.com/world/PT/Lisbon
Lots of options for planning a backpacker journey.
Hi Tony,
Thanks for the link to your blog, I look forward to reading your updates. Have a great time.
Viagem boa, Enzo
Glad I just caught you. Good luck grass hopper! You have trained well and I expect them all to understand you.
You can get us at itsnatty@hotmail.com to try and meet up. Give us phone numbers or anything that can help us fnd you.
Enjoy! I am very excited for you.
Thanks Enzo. Thanks also Danny for the time you put in teaching me the language. I am in Singapore airport on a 4 hour wait to get to Heathrow. The trip is going to take another 13 1/2 hours, then another 3 to Portugal and i just did 8 hours from Brisbane. I have had some nice replies on Couchsurfing and the trip is getting cheaper by the minute. I am enjoying this a lot - my big adventure. Eyes are getting a bit heavy now and it is the next flight that i am meant to sleep. I arrive in Lisboa at 10am - ready to get into it. Going straight to a phone shop to fix all that up and then i think to a cafe and try that bloody custard tart. After that is finally out of the road - Pub. Hope you are all well.
Tony meu amigo.
I guess your in Portugal now. Wow! How is it? What are your first impressions?
We are really bummed that we didn't see you off. It all came too soon. I think we were in denial of you going and then...you were gone.
Enjoy Lisbon and keep an eye out for the Brazilian bakery "Casa Brasileira" (I think that's the name.)
Have fun. Embrace it all!
Abraços.
Rodrigo and Michelle
xxx
Hey Tone,
Don't waste time sleeping - you need to be out there EXPERIENCING EVERYTHING. Hold on to your luggage!
Merrin & Amanda
PS Watch out for those Portugese tarts.
Hi Tony
This is a hello from Alison, Linda, Sharen, Alan, Merrin, Judy, Amanda, Lois, Cathy, Carolyn, Jessie - all at Judy's place at the moment. We had Portugal Quiche - Red(Capsicum& Tomatoes) Green (Herbs & BokChoy) & White (Parmesan & Feta). All thinking about you - hope eveything is going to plan. ALison just said something in portugiuese to you - don't know what she said!!!!!
Love form all of us - stay safe.
J
Post a Comment